Saturday, September 22, 2007

Here goes nothing!

Well, here you have it: my first blog.

I really enjoyed the readings for this week. I definitely think it will take a lot of practice and playing around with different blogs before I will feel comfortable starting a class blog, and more importantly, before I'll be prepared enough to defend the merit and logic behind a class blog to my principal...because I KNOW I'll have to defend it. Or maybe I'll just forward him this week's readings? Is there any research that blogging directly impacts CST scores, because I KNOW that would work? =D

As I looked through the different class blog examples, I was really impressed by how often posts were read! Some student blogs had over 800 views! As I write this, I'm excited by the thought of people reading and commenting on my words, so I can imagine the thrill that over 800 views would bring to a student. How inspired and excited they must be to write that next blog!

One thing that I'm struggling with is which blog service to use. From the readings and suggestions of our instructor, it seemed that blogmeister.com and 21classes.com are my choices. The readings suggested that blogger.com not be used for a classroom. I'd like to know more about the pros and cons of each service. I suppose this will just take some playing around. One thing I found odd was that 21classes wanted my address when I signed up???

I'm also struggling with whether I should set up a class blog for my students and parents to view and comment on, or if I should have students set up their own blogs. Again, I think it will just take more exposure to the services before I'll know which course is best. I noticed that w/ blogmeister, the students' blogs all had the same picture and color scheme...I like that.

I'm really excited by the prospect of this new and exciting writing tool, and can't wait to learn more!!

5 comments:

Janice Stearns said...

I love the creative title of your blog! It looks very nice too.

As for studies proving that blogging and other web 2.0 tools can improve test scores, some work is being done. I'll look for some of those studies, but they aren't conclusive yet.

I agree that the feature in Class Blogmeister to see the number of times a post has been read can be very encouraging for student bloggers.

Your thoughts about which type of blog to set up for your classroom are good. You could have several blogs with different purposes or one blog that serves those different purposes.

Your first post is excellent. Welcome to the world of blogging.

Daniel Martinez said...

Great blog. it looks awesome. I like the clip art. Is it a clip art? or something you drew and scanned? Looks great

MONICA CASABELLA M.A., CCC-SLP said...

Beautiful!
I am sure your students would love to see your blog. If..when you create one for your students, it should be this colorful.
Great start.

Mr. Olivas said...

Hello Mr. Wright, your page looks FABULOUS!!! I also enjoyed your play on words with your blogsite. I'm glad to hear you're a fellow "Math guy", and I'll be happy to field any of your questions. I must admit...I do miss the kiddies in the classroom, but I'm excited with my new position. Have a fine day!!!

Chrystal said...

I look forward to hearing about your ideas on math blog topics for your students. I would agree that blogger is not the best spot for student blogs. I have seen some interesting blogs get through the firewall when clicking the next blog link at the top. Nice job on your blog!